Canadian North offers a new flat rate of $1.50/kg* on country foods shipments.
Locally harvested traditional foods (fish, wild birds & game), meeting these conditions.
- For non-commerical purposes.
- Applicable for transport on Canadian North inter-community routes or from Nunavut and NWT communites to Yellowknife, Edmonton and Ottawa only.
- All requests for pick-up and delivery must be pre-arranged with Canadian North. (Please note that pick up and delivery service is not available at all locations.)
- A Wildlife Permit is required to remove any wildlife or wildlife parts, other than a manufactured product, from the NWT or Nunavut.
- Wildelife Export Permits are available at Environment & Natural Resources offices in most communities.
- See http://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/_live/pages/wpPages/Exporting_Wildlife.aspx for more information in the NWT.
- In Nunavut, please check with your local Gov't of Nunavut Environment Office or phone 1-866-222-9063.
- All shipments must be clean and clear of blood
- Fresh meat, hides and capes packed in salt will not be accepted
- To prevent movement or damage within the package, use inner cushioning with leak-proof barriers for liquid items
- Choose a strong and durable outer packaging
- Each container should be of a size and weight for convenient handling. The weight of an individual package must not exceed 32 kilograms.
- Clearly mark name and phone number of shipper and consignee on a highly visible area on the package exterior
- Label the package "FRAGILE", "FREEZER", "COOLER", "DO NOT FREEZE", or "THIS WAY UP" where appropriate
- Remove old labels if using recycled boxes or packaging
- For additional information, please contact the local cargo office or visit the Cargo Rules Tariff