At Canadian North, we offer a compassionate travel rebate for passengers who have had a death in the family, as well as for those with a family member in a life-threatening situation.
The following information is required to be eligible for this rebate.
In the case of a death in the family you will require:
- Name of deceased
- Relationship to deceased
- Name, address and phone number of doctor filing death certificate, or of the memorial/funeral home
In the case of a family member in a life-threatening situation you will require:
- Name of patient
- Relationship of patient
- Name, address and phone number of attending physician or hospital
If you are not able to provide the information prior to your departure date, you may request a refund once your travel is completed. Simply provide your travel documents (boarding passes and ticket receipt), a copy of the death certificate or Funeral Director's certificate, and a completed Bereavement Refund Application Form (available at any airport ticket counter).
Who is Eligible?
- Spouse (including common law, same sex)
- Child (including adopted, step-, grand-, great-grand-, legal in-law, common in-law)
- Parent (including step-, grand-, great-grand-, legal, in-law, common law in-law)
- Sibling (including legal, in-law, common law in-law)
- Aunts/Uncles/Nieces/Nephews (including those of spouse, common law spouse)
- Legal guardian (including guardian’s spouse)
Definition of a Life-Threatening Situation
- Patient in intensive care
- Heart attack
- Final stages of cancer - travel more than once may occur
- Serious accidents
- All indications are life-threatening
- Hospitalization includes admission to a hospice or other facility when recommended by a doctor and preceded by a hospital stay due to imminent death
Unfortunately, we cannot offer this program for travel due to illness which is not immediately life-threatening, nor for the purpose of settling an estate.
- Fares apply from point of origin to the closest airport served by Canadian North.
- Valid system-wide on the scheduled services of Canadian North.
- Valid on round trips only, open returns are not eligible.
- Travel must commence within 7 days of reservation.
- Ticket must be issued prior to check-in counter close for ticketed departure.
- Fare is refundable prior to ticketed departure. Fare is not refundable in the event of a no-show.
- Passengers may make voluntary changes with no change fee, providing travel period rules are followed; travel must be within 7 days of reservation, and return travel must be within 30 days.
- No cancelation fee applies. Entire unused ticket value may be refunded prior to departure.
- Not valid with other discounts or promotions.
Bereavement fares are eligible for Aeroplan points.
Join Aurora Rewards and earn free flights every time you book with Canadian North. Already a member? Remember to enter your member number every time you book.